Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Eating Disorders: A Global Problem

Scott Trembly
English 250 FD
Mr. Perez
Reaction Paper
Eating Disorders: A Global Problem
My reaction to this reading was probably the same as most peoples. It was more eye opening than I imagined it would be. I didn’t realize coming into this article that so many people have been effected by eating disorders. It has effected entire cultures even! It just goes to show all of us how much we are influenced by not only the media, but by the world and people around us. I bet well over half of the people were influenced to start dieting by one of their close friends who had heard it from some magazine or some TV show.
What I did not realize is that it had crossed the gender lines. I did not realize that some men had also been influenced and started taking a second look in the mirror. My perception of a guy is that they take a look, say “Ahh the hell with it,” and continue on with their day. Most guys do not really care what exactly their body looks like before they go out, and most certainly don’t watch what they are eating or make themselves vomit to get and maintain a nice body. Most guys eat like pigs. I believe this article is a very good one to read to open peoples eyes to the world of eating disorders, because that world and our world apparently, are one in the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment